DYNEEMA® is an Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene fibre. Dyneema® is lightweight and renowned as "The World's Strongest Fibre™."
DYNEEMA® FOR YACHTSMEN
Dyneema® is the ingredient material of choice for all serious yacht racers from the world's top Grand Prix Racing teams to dedicated club racers. However, Dyneema® ropes are not just for racers. Marlow's ropes with Dyneema® also afford everyday cruising yachtsmen significant benefits as well.
What makes DYNEEMA® so special?
- High strength: not just a requirement for top racers, allowing them to downsize the diameter they use and save valuable weight. With average strengths some 130% higher than polyester ropes. Weight for weight, Dyneema® is 15 times stronger than steel
- Light Weight: Strength for strength, it is 8 times lighter than steel wire. Ropes with Dyneema® are up to 28% lighter than regular polyester ropes, making them easier and safer to handle. The fact that ropes made with Dyneema® absorb significantly less water means that they remain easy to handle even when wet.
- Low stretch: at 30% of break load, polyester halyards can stretch by 8%, affecting the set of the sail and handling of the boat. Marlow's halyards with Dyneema eliminate this worry
- Water resistant: it is hydrophobic and does not absorb water, meaning it floats and remains light when working in wet conditions and is therefore also more durable
- UV Resistant: it has very good resistance to photo degradation, maintaining its performance when exposed to UV light
- Chemical resistance: Dyneema® is chemically inert, and performs well in dry, wet, salty and humid conditions.